Friday, October 17, 2014

Autumn in Maine

Some things we did this year that made it even better…

 • We planted sedum in the garden. It adds a lovely green texture to surrounding blooms all summer and slowly turns to a rose and then a rich cranberry color as the weather turns colder. They call it “autumn joy”, and yes it is.


  We brought our bikes on board the Casco Bay Ferry to Peaks Island and spent the morning touring this quaint and rustic island. After our ride, we stopped into The Peaks Café for lunch and had a hot cup of coffee. Lyle had cocoa. Perfect.

  We invested in a portable fire pit and placed it on a heatproof mat to protect the grass. Fall evenings are now spent outside by a cozy fire rather than in front of the TV…


  We gathered the last of our garden’s bounty before the first frost and made a hug pot of vegetable soup. I quadrupled the recipe so I had plenty to freeze. And I discovered that tons of chopping is not so bad when accompanied by a glass of red wine.


  After a morning of apple picking, Lyle and I spent the afternoon making and canning applesauce. I like to combine a wide variety of apples and add nothing – no sugar, no spices. 25lbs of apples will yield about 8 quart jars – enough to get you through the long winter.

   I sewed 10 simple fleece red mittens for Lyle – all identical – in an attempt to stop the lost mitten search once and for all. Brilliant if I do say so myself.

  We took an easy hike up Bradbury Mountain in Freeport – no better place to leaf-peep and view autumn in Maine in all its glory. Man, I love where we live.

xo,
e



No comments:

Post a Comment