Monday, December 30, 2013

My Resolve to Create

The week between Christmas and New Years is one of my favorite weeks of the year.  There is a lull in the holiday action that I take advantage of to relax, reorganize and reconnect. 

Not much exciting happens, really.  I buy a funky new journal and commit myself to daily writing...again.   I send my holiday cards (which are much more fun to do after the buzz of pre-Christmas activity).  I call friends I have not spoken to in awhile.  Catch some local sales to stock up on warm winter sweaters.  Clean the house.  Take a few long walks with the dog on the beach. 
A romp with Willy on the beach


And I make New Year resolutions.   They usually involve things like more exercise and less sweets.  More sleep and less late-night Netflix.  More forgiveness, less criticism.  More phone calls and less texting.  You know the list.  I am sure you make one yourself. 

One of the resolutions I always make involves the exploration of something creative.  I resolve to take more photos.  Sign up for a watercolor class.  Pick up my needles and reconnect with the simple pleasure of knitting. 

Maine is a great place to explore creative pursuits.  And the New Year is the perfect time to do so in earnest.  While ice and snow drive us in doors, engaging in creative endeavors – whether it is cooking, drawing, sewing, writing – opens our imaginations.  The colors unleashed in my brain by doing something creative are stark contrast to winter’s minimalistic color palette.
Silk scarf dyeing class at River Arts
Here is a short sampling of venues up and down the coast to inspire the creative genius in you this winter.  What would you add to the list?
  • Halycon Yarn offers a variety of fiber arts classes at their beautiful facility in Bath. 
  • The 2014 catalogue for Merrymeeting Adult Ed features 71 new classes in and around the Brunswick area. 
  • If cooking is your thing, Stonewall Kitchen offers a variety of classes at their state-of-the-art facility in York.  
  • River Arts on Route One in Damariscotta invites you to create through both open studio space and classes.  
Happy exploring,
pk



No comments:

Post a Comment